Youth Match Report: Welwyn Pegasus v U15 (Double Header) 050513



Sunday 5th May 2013


Welwyn Pegasus v Royston Town Youth


Royston Crow Youth Football League U15 Division 1


Lost 1-2

Royston Scorers

James B

The second part of the double header but this time we would have to do it with 12 players as both AJ and James R picked up knocks which meant they could play no further part.

We just asked the boys for more of the same; it really was that simple as well as scoring the first goal as we felt that was the most important aspect as the sun was clearly tacking it out of both sets of players.

We again started well and looked like the team to score first until after 10 minutes a shot from twenty yards out from a Welwyn player took a cruel deflection off one of their forwards completely wrong footed Robbie and we found ourselves one down. To their credit the boys did not drop their heads and continued to press for the equaliser and with five minutes of the first half remaining we deservedly got it, Rhys showed so much desire to chase a ball knocked out wide then when he got it he looked up before crossing for James B who had got in front of his marker and he made no mistake from eight yards a great team goal. We continued to show so much commitment and the half time whistle went all square at 1-1.

We just asked for one more big effort we could see how shattered they were so it was just a case of making show they stayed switched on for the last 25 minutes.

We were kicking up the slope second half but to the credit of both sides that were both looking for the win and it really was end to end. A great move by us gave Rhys a chance after Sam put him through but the ball went just wide of the far post. Since their first goal from a corner we had defended really well that was until with five minutes left another corner was sent over and again poor marking allowed another free header and once again we were chasing the game. I can not fault their effort or commitment as we throw everything at them for the last five minutes but although their were two goalmouth scrabbles they held out and we had lost the second game 2-1.

I had shown my frustration for all to see when we conceded that second goal but part of that was down to the fact we did not deserve to lose that second game, they had worked so hard and to get nothing from it was hard to take. They too were disappointed and like I told them at the end its such fine margins when you play the top sides and to concede two goals from set plays is something we just don’t do, but overall I was happy with what I saw today we tried to play the right way and the effort was their for all to see, football can be a cruel game and I did not think we got what we deserved in that second game.

Double headers are not for me but another experience for the boys in their football education.

Well done to two good sides Welwyn have some good players and also tried to play football which is refreshing to see.